[Updated: As of today, 12/2, Capital One 360 is no longer offering their $100 sign-up bonuses. But they still offer $50 for opening a checking account and $25 for opening a savings account regularly, so it’s still not a bad idea to check them out!]
Today is a crazy day for most people. I’m generally not a fan of the whole thing, although sometimes saving money on things I’m going to buy anyway motivates me to get out among the crazies. This year I’ve been able to largely avoid it by hanging out with my wife’s family in Hawaii 🙂 We did do a little shopping online, though, to get some movies we’ve been wanting to get for a while.
Anyway, the reason I’m writing today is because I wanted to give y’all an opportunity to make money on Black Friday instead of spend it. Capital One 360 is offering a Black Friday deal to get people to sign up for an online bank account. I typically avoid using this blog to blatantly recommend specific financial products, but I signed up for a Capital One 360 account last year during their Black Friday event myself. I had the intention of cancelling the account once I got the bonus, but I’ve loved it so much I’ve kept it.
Why I love Capital One 360
- You can connect your external accounts and make transfers between banks through your account.
- You can have up to 25 savings accounts. We have ones set up specifically for our tax savings, emergency fund, baby savings, Christmas savings, and extra debt payoffs. At the beginning of each month, an automatic transfer goes from the checking account to each savings account, helping us make sure we pay ourselves first.
- They actually pay interest. My previous savings account paid a measly 0.1% interest on my balance. This one pays 0.75%. Still not what it used to be, but I’m making dollars now instead of pennies.
- No fees!
- They use the Allpoint ATM network, which means 38,000 free ATMs across the country.
How to take advantage of the deal
The Capital One 360 deal is open now through Monday, December 1st, and is two-fold:
- Open a 360 Checking account between November 28th and December 1st.
- Make an initial deposit of $250.
- Complete 5 debit card purchases or mobile check deposits (any combo of both) within 45 days.
- Receive $100 on Day 50.
- Open a 360 Savings account between November 28th and December 1st.
- Make an initial deposit of $1,000 or more.
- Receive a $100 bonus immediately.
Both are pretty easy, right? And if you don’t want to keep the accounts, you can just open the accounts long enough to get the bonuses, link your current bank account to the Capital One 360 account, then transfer the money out and close the accounts. And while you’re at it, you can also score another $200 by opening an account with Nationwide’s online bank. I didn’t enjoy Nationwide as much, so I didn’t keep that one, but hey free money is free money!
Make some money this Black Friday
Guys, this is pretty simple stuff. If you’re willing to go through the effort to go brave Walmart or Target at midnight (or 6 p.m. now, apparently…), this should be a cinch. Click here to score the deal. Trust me, it’s worth the five minutes 🙂